Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Orecchiette With Spicy Sausage and Chicken

I just got my new Food Network Magazine and this recipe was inside.... just what I was craving lately! Pasta!! I especially like the little Orecchiette pasta (it looks like little ears or hats.. too cute and yummy) I have a similar recipe on my blog like this with hot sausage but this one's not quite as saucy... but it's still good! I added some diced cooked chicken to the recipe as well, because I had some I needed to use up and I thought it would be good. I served mine with cheesy french bread and a tossed green salad. Enjoy!!

Orecchiette With Spicy Sausage and Chicken
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine
Serves:4 servings

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
12 ounces orecchiette pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
8 ounces fresh chorizo or other spicy sausage, casings removed ( I used hot Italian sausage)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
2 spring onions (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced, plus more for topping ** See note below
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (or minced)
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced ( I just used sliced button mushrooms because that's what I had)
Freshly ground pepper
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (Optional, but I LOVE basil so I added it. )
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

Directions
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the spring onions and cook until softened, about 3 more minutes. Add the cooked chicken, garlic, mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms start to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and fresh basil and cook until the tomatoes soften slightly, about 3 more minutes.
Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add the broth to the skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the pasta and cheese, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
 Divide among bowls, drizzle with olive oil and top with more cheese and spring onions. Serve with cheesey french bread and salad if desired-- YUM!

**NOTE: Spring onions have small mild bulbs with green tops. If you can't find them use a bunch of green onions or scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...